Results [65]
  • Do I need to take a solicitor with me to the EHCP interim review?
    Sara Smyth
    SEN Mum

    28 Jul 2021

    Watched by 118
  • My son's nursery have refused to submit an EHCP. Is this allowed?

    My son's preschool will not apply for an EHCP because he is 'hitting his milestones'. This does not feel right to me. I have asked them to reconsider based on his diagnosis of ASC but they have declined. Is there anything I can do?

    Watched by 4
  • Can sen school refuse place because they are full?

    School have said can meet needs but non spaces. We are on waiting list and dont know when space will become available.

    H Z

    18 Mar 2023

    Watched by 1
  • Is it true a child could be assessed quicker by CAMHS by applying for an EHC needs assessment, rather than joining the CAMHS general waiting list?

    We hear of parents, who believe their child is SEND, waiting many months to get their child's mental health assessed by CAMHs. Because the EHCNA (EHC needs assessment) has a legal time limit, if an LA agreed to a needs assessment, then is it possible/likely the child could be seen sooner than on the general waiting list.

    SEND Kids
    Support SEND Kids

    11 Mar 2023

    Watched by 3
  • Is this right that a Family Court Judge can prohibit a child from being assessed? Also, is the school right to withhold referral due to an order/direction aimed at the parents?

    In family Court proceedings currently ongoing for over 1 year, brought against me (mother) by child’s father, to prohibit me from removing our child from the school, he doesn’t believe she has an SEN and believes it is bad behaviour. School’s treatment of her anxiety and suspected SEN was traumatising her (school ‘refusal’). Immediately interim ordered to go back, school put in place lots of special measures for about 4 months (reduced timetable, phased return, permission for ear defenders, sensory things etc.) then very suddenly came to an end. Family Court issues between parents seem to be completely forgetting the daily struggles for the child now, I keep asking for permission to have her privately assessed (mainly for ASD & ADHD) but the Judge refuses and has incorporated this wording into the Court orders: both parents do not have permission to have her assessed. I ask at every hearing for this to be discharged but it is declined. This has been a year now and she is declining, and school have pulled everything and find me incredibly irritating, have written things about me that suggest they feel I am making her behaviours up, despite them being witnessed (and once supported) in school. No diagnosis, or EHCP in place. I even tried to complete the ASD Pathway Pack for school to refer her on, but they blocked it after the father showed them the Court order that says “parents” do not have permission to obtain a clinical report.

    J E

    11 Mar 2023

    Watched by 8
  • Can a school exclude a child with Autism and/or ADHD?

    This is a question we hear often from parents. Parents can feel that their child is being unfairly treated or who 'act up' because their needs aren't being met.

    SEND Kids
    Support SEND Kids

    11 Mar 2023

    Watched by 3
  • How to change school with EHCP plan?

    She is being bullied, she is in a small group where she is the only girl in a class. Her plan target's is not being met. She emotionaly very down.

    Diana Heltai

    08 Mar 2023

    Watched by 4
  • Can you recommend any books for me to read to learn about SEND?
    Rachel Amos
    Support SEND Kids

    12 Nov 2021

    Watched by 9
  • LA has agreed to EOTAS (involving tutoring, educational provision at an equestrian centre, and clinical psychology support). I have asked for ...

    ... transport costs - my car mileage - in taking my 13 year old child to and from these places. She has severe SEMH needs and will not allow anyone else to transport her. Is there law to support me claiming my car mileage; and can this be written into her EHCP? Many thanks.

    Cherry D

    08 Jul 2022

    Watched by 4
  • My daughter's EHCP is going through a Phrase Transfer (nursery to Reception) annual review. She is currently repeating nursery at an independent ...

    ... school who are supporting her brilliantly and where we want her to stay for Reception. She has Goldenhar Syndrome which results in a hearing loss and severe speech disorder plus various other things. The upshot is that she needs a full time LSA, SALT and OT provision plus Section F of her current EHCP specifies 'quiet listening conditions with low levels of background noise and reverberation'. The independent school which is our first choice has said they can meet needs conditional on her receiving full time LSA support (current EHCP specifies 30 hrs).

    The LA say they have two state primary schools that can meet needs. Both schools have intakes of 60 children in Reception where all 60 children share the same classroom space. One of the schools has been described as unsuitable by the Teacher of the Deaf. We obtained the offers from each school and actually neither of the offer letters say they can meet all needs, they both say they can meet SOME of her needs but not all. Both also say they would need extra funding from the LA to make changes to the acoustic environment.

    Are we now in a position where the LA do not have a suitable alternative school that can meet needs so they must place her at the independent school that we want and pay for the full package (including fees)? Does 'meeting needs' mean 'meeting all needs' or is there a grey area?

    Christine Long

    29 Dec 2022

    Watched by 5